Skip Navigation Links

Ways of Giving

There are a number of ways to support Eton. Every gift matters.

The quickest way to support Eton is via our Online Giving Facility
Click on the icon below to give online now.

Alternatively, print and complete a  Donation Form and return it to us at Eton.

Regular donations

Regular Donations can add up quickly and benefit from favourable tax treatment. The 1440 Society, recognising donors of £100 a month (or an annual equivalent), is a case in point.

Giving with Gift Aid

Allowing Eton to reclaim Gift Aid on contributions will substantially increase the value of your gift whilst reducing the cost to you. Furthermore if you pay a higher rate of tax, you can claim the difference between the higher rate (40% or 50%). If eligible all the tax you paid will be either given as gift aid or claimed back by you on your Self-Assessment Tax Return.

For example, if you donate £100, the total value of your donation to the charity is increased by £25 (Gift Aid) and you can claim back:

  • £25 - if you pay tax at 40 per cent (£125 x 20%) – the final cost to you of your £125 gross donation is £75

  • £37.50 - if you pay tax at 50 per cent (£125 x 30%)  the final cost to you for your £125 gross donation is £62.50

You can make this claim on your Self Asssessment Tax Return.

Gift Aid Calculator

Gift Aid Calculator

Proposed Donation: £ Basic Tax Rate (%)

Full Value with Gift Aid: £

But if you pay a higher tax rate of 40%
then you may reclaim higher rate relief of: £

But if you pay a higher tax rate of 50%
then you may reclaim higher rate relief of: £

Giving via CAF or other charitable foundations or trusts

Eton is grateful for contributions via CAF or other charitable foundations or trusts.

Cheques should be made payable to Eton College.

Leaving a Legacy

Designating a percentage of your estate to charity is a generous and tax efficient way to support charitable organisations and institutions.  All legacies to Eton are 100% exempt from Inheritance Tax.  In 2011 the Government announced a new policy to encourage charitable legacies.  To encourage more generous legacies, those who donate at least 10% of their estate to charities, will recieve a further 10% reduction of the tax payable (reduction to 36% from 40%) on the remainder of their estate.

The Henry VI Society has been formed to recognise individuals who have included the school in their Will.  For more information about leaving a Legacy to Eton and the Henry VI Society, click here.

Giving from Overseas

United States

The American Friends of Eton College (AFEC) is an organization incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia as a charitable institution and qualified under §501(c)(3) of the US Internal Revenue Code.


Donations through AFEC are fully tax-deductible for purposes of US income taxation.

Donations payable to the American Friends of Eton College may be sent to: 

Mr HD Edelman (RDB 66)
American Friends of Eton College            
7521 Royal Oak Drive
McLean, VA 22102-2114


or by email enquiry

An AFEC Donation Form will be helpful in making your gift.


Eton is registered with Transnational Giving Europe which helps facilitate tax efficient giving for donors living in some European countries. Countries covered by the TGE network include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romanic, The Netherlands, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland.

For further information on how to benefit from the advantages of the network, donors should contact their
national partner.  Donors wishing to give via the TGE network should inform Eton.


For other countries, please contact Eton who will be able to provide you with the appropriate bank details to make an international transfer.

Giving Shares

Giving shares to charity is not a new idea, but since April 2009, there is added tax incentive to make share giving even more attractive.  Individuals who give shares to charity are entitled to claim back full tax relief against the value of those shares.  So, a gift of shares worth £1000 will only cost a higher rate taxpayer £600.

Tax relief is available to UK taxpayers donating shares and securities listed on the UK Stock Market, the Alternative Investment Market, and recognised stock exchanges overseas. It is also available for units in a UK unit trust, shares in a UK open-ended investment company (OEIC), and some similar foreign investments. You can claim tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day you make the gift, together with any associated costs such as brokers' fees. Furthermore, capital gains tax (CGT) on any increase in the value of the shares since you bought them, will not apply. However, if your shares have gone down in value, you should be aware that you will not be able to use this loss to offset any other CGT liability you may have. When you are ready to proceed, please contact the Development Office to let us know that you or your representative would like to be contacted about making a gift of shares. Please tell us the name and amount of the stock you intend to gift and whether or not it is certificated or held with a broker.  Also, please provide the contact details of anyone acting on your behalf. We will then relay this information to Eton’s agent at Barclays who, in turn, will follow up with you or your agent.

Development Office

Eton College



Telephone (01753) 671340
Eton’s agent, who acts on the college’s behalf to administer gifts of shares is:

Mr Donevan Kukul
Vice President, Barclays Stockbrokers
Tel  + 44 (0)20 3555 8428 
Mobile +44 (0)7775 552255

If this is a matter of great urgency please feel free to contact Donevan Kukul directly.

In the case of certificated holdings, Donevan will establish whether or not the stock is ‘in the Crest system’ or outside it.  Donevan will then send the relevant Transfer Deed to you or your representative along with a Gift Declaration which you must complete and return to Donevan along with the share certificate.

If you are not already a Barclays customer, you will also need to provide a certified copy of your passport and driving licence as well as a combination of two recent utility bills or bank statements in your name from a UK clearing bank.  Certification may be made at a local Barclays Branch.  Under certain circumstances, arrangements can be made for a Barclays representative to collect and certify required documentation.  This requirement is administrative owing to recently enacted financial regulations; a brief instruction packet will be provided.

In the case of broker held stock, in addition to the above identification requirements and Gift Declaration, please advise Donevan whom to contact and he will arrange for his office to act ‘Nominee to Nominee’.  You will need to instruct your broker to co-operate with Donevan’s office and provide Donevan with a hard copy of your written instruction to your broker.

For overseas holdings, it will always be ‘broker to broker’ or ‘agent to agent’. You will advise Donevan as to whom has custody and Donevan will contact the custodian and arrange the gift.

Eton’s policy is to sell shares in a timely and sensible manner once the stock is in Eton’s custody.  We appreciate that this is dependent upon the liquidity of the shares.  Please advise Donevan if it would be preferable for Eton to conduct the sale via a certain broker or fund manager.