The Eton Dorney Rowing Courses are non-residential rowing courses based at Dorney Lake, which is Eton College’s Rowing Centre and was a venue for the 2012 Olympics. With experienced coaches, the courses are tailored to cater for both Learn to Row and Advanced rowers. There are a substantial number of free places available to students who attend UK state schools.
Please note that all the places on the 2022 courses have now been filled. We do have waiting lists – to be added to a waiting list, please click on the Apply Now button below.
- Course 1: Monday 25 – Friday 29 July 2022
- Course 2: Monday 1 – Friday 5 August 2022
- Bookings open on Tuesday 22 February 2022
- Course cost £360
Participation, progression and performance will be installed in any rower who takes part in the courses with the aim of providing each participants with the skills to flourish along their rowing journey.
By giving students access to world class facilities and top quality coaching, we strive to create excellence for all course participants.
The Eton Dorney Rowing Course is definitely something I will forever remember, and its scholarship scheme made this possible – something which I would have otherwise been unable to do.Jacques Miller
Summer 2022 Gallery Week 1
Summer 2022 Gallery Week 2
Who can attend?
The courses are open to boys and girls aged 12-16. Rowers of all abilities are welcome on both courses. There will be a substantial number of free places available to students attending UK state schools, which will be allocated on a first come first served basis once bookings open. We are hopeful that these places will be allocated to students who would not otherwise be able to attend. In 2021, 63% of students on the courses attended UK state schools.
of students on the 2021 courses attended UK state schools.
The course itself has been structured by Eton College and Dorney Lake Boat Club coaches to ensure that all students attending the course will leave with the knowledge and skills to further develop their rowing journeys. The days will be made up of three outings per day with a contrast of rowing-based land activities, such as goal setting, guest speakers and warm up sessions to provide all students with the background knowledge of becoming elite rowers. The students will also row up to Queen’s Eyot, Eton College’s private island, and will take part in head races and an end of course relay race. The course will run daily from 9am – 5pm, and students will need to bring their own packed lunches and snacks.
The members of staff on the Eton Dorney Rowing Courses include approximately 20 instructors employed as either coaches or course assistants for the two week period, the majority of whom are members of Eton’s term-time staff. Some of the coaches are actively competing on a regular basis, and others have performed at the highest levels of the sport in the past. All coaches hold qualifications obtained from British Rowing.
The first day out on the boats was nerve-racking, but with the help from my two amazing coaches, I was slowly gaining confidence. I have really enjoyed my rowing experience at Eton and hope that I will have the privilege to attend the course again.Heather Whitmore
Eton is fortunate to be one of the best-equipped schools in the world, and many of its extensive facilities are made available to the students of the Eton Dorney Rowing Courses. The rowing facilities in particular are second to none, with the international standard eight-lane course at Dorney Lake a venue for the 2012 Olympics.
Phone Number – 01753 370546
Email Address – firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- All fees stated are payable in pounds sterling.
- Eton Dorney Rowing Courses reserves the right to alter the features of its courses, including venues and facilities.
- Eton Dorney Rowing Courses reserves the right to refuse an application without stating a reason.
- In the event of cancellation by the applicant, a refund will be allowed as follows: 75% (one month before course start date), (50%) (two weeks before the start of the course), Nil (seven days before the start of the course) and Nil once the course has started.
- Students can not participate on the course until they have passed a capsize and swimming test
- Any refund is at the discretion of Eton Dorney Rowing Courses, but Eton Dorney Rowing Courses cannot take responsibility for other costs incurred by applicants.
- Free places are for pupils attending UK state schools only.
- Vegetarian and special dietary needs can usually be met.
- Eton College will not be held liable for any loss or damage to students’ belongings during the course