This site uses cookies. Read more here. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience.


Winchester XI vs Association XI

Saturday, 22nd September 2012

On this brilliant late September afternoon, Eton overcame a very resilient Winchester side. The first few minutes were frantic with neither team earning the right to play proper passing football. In fact, Eton were soon to learn that Winchester never let their opposition play along the floor, with lots of crunching challenges early on in the game. However, the deadlock was broken after 5 minutes of play from a set piece. Ali Lyon, Eton’s number 9, made a run off the goalkeeper and headed home from a corner, reminiscent of Drogba’s in the Champions League Final. A subdued celebration followed, Eton knowing that there was much work still to be done. The next 20 minutes was a scrappy affair with Winchester continuing to press the ball and Eton were still not allowed to control the game. After a defensive lapse, Winchester’s striker levelled the scores with a tidy finish. 1-1.

The next notable passage of play came from an Eton trade mark quick free kick. Bertie Collins was slipped through as Freddie Chambers cleverly disguised his pass. His shot came off the post and Codacci-Pisanelli was there to prod in ruthlessly and Eton went 2-1 up.

The next goal was scored by Ali Lyon, but much of the credit has to go to Codacci-Pisanelli after his intelligent play down the right created the goal. He picked the ball up from the half way line and cleverly moved the ball from right to left to beat the first man. He then continued to run down the wing with power and pace, skipping past the Winchester left back. Winchester’s centre back tried to make a challenge but there was no stopping Codacci-Pisanelli muscling his way through, the winger then laying it back to Ali Lyon who slotted it bottom left. 3-1.

The game now became a much more scrappy affair as Eton realised the only way to beat such a hardworking dogged team was to play them at their own game, but better. The fourth goal came as Freddie Chambers slipped Bertie Collins through again, and this time he slammed it home with his left foot in the near post.The full time whistle went, 4-1. A comfortable win for Eton against tough opposition.

Chambers, F. (JDN)