After their disappointing defeat to Windsor Boys last Tuesday, the under 14As would have been looking to get back on their feet with a good win. Eton kicked off and the first chance fell to Ricky Leoni-Sceti but the pass was unfortunately too long for him. Eton then kept possession before having another chance through a header that was unfortunately right at the ‘keeper.

Ardingly’s first chance finally came when one of their strikers dragged it across goal from a tight angle. As the game progressed, it was clear to see that Eton were in the driving seat. Ardingly then had a decent spell of passing and moving and came close when a cross nearly hit the head of one of their players. The first goal of the match fell late in the first half when a defending mistake allowed a shot at an open goal. Moments before, however, there was a clear shove on one of our defenders but it went unnoticed because the referee’s view was blocked by bodies.

Soon after the incident, another defensive mistake allowed a shot into an open goal that made the score 2-0 to Ardingly. This being the half time score. Mr Fussey must have said something to his team at half-time as they were a different side all together. In the first few minutes, Vlasto had a great shot and was denied by a great save. Henry Priddis who had been playing well made a great run and hit the side netting but it was Tom Morales with a powerful shot that got Eton back into the game in exciting fashion. 2-1.

Soon after, Robbie Hedges tapped in Eton’s second goal amidst defensive chaos. Eton were now well back into it. Mr Fussey’s team carried on resolutely and came close when Jamie Jackson shot too high after a goal line scramble. Ardingly then had an effort cleared of the line before Freddie Stille scored in spectacular fashion when he lobbed the ball over the goalkeeper’s head and into the goal from about 30 yards out. It caught everyone off guard, maybe even Freddie himself! 3-2. But then Eton took their foot off the gas and got complacent. Ardingly pounced on sloppy defending and passed to a striker to shoot into an open goal but he missed completely. Unfortunately, there was another player to hit it in. Ardingly had equalised. In the last few minutes, Ardingly got the winner from a poorly defended corner. 3-4. With the last kick of the game, Galletley came close to getting a draw with a good shot. The game can be summed up with the words of Mr Fussey after the game: “We did well to get back into it but it was a disappointing finish.”

Billy Pratt PMG